This project was unusual in that it entailed building an extension to the existing surgery which was built in 1986 on a site acquired from the local authority.
The Practice had grown significantly over the years and the original building was no longer fit for purpose, either in terms of size or standard of the facilities.
A number of alternative site options were considered but the preferred option was to redevelop the existing site with partial retention of the existing building. To facilitate this option an additional parcel of land adjacent to the original surgery was acquired.
The extension was built as a first phase whilst the Practice continued in the old building. The GPs and their staff took up occupation in the new extension whilst the original building was completely refurbished and upgraded to meet the requirements of modern healthcare facilities. This phased approach ensured that disruption for the Practice was kept to an absolute minimum and enabled consistent service delivery for patients throughout the development process.
The completed building, which extends to 1175 m2 and includes a Pharmacy and 45 car parking spaces, has received much acclaim locally.
The new and substantially improved facilities, includes a sufficient number of properly sized consulting and treatment rooms and health promotion/education facilities which allow the Practice to significantly enhance its service provision to the patient population. It has also given the staff the benefit of working in an environment that is fit for purpose for needs of a modern primary care service which has provided a substantial boost to staff morale.
Innovative extension to existing surgery.
Modern state of the art facilities in a larger new building
Higher quality throughout
Enabling a wide range of core and enhanced services locally